Sunday, October 23, 2011

memoirs of kyoto.

I had a whole post, previously prepared for this entry, but once after re-reading it, it sounded like a little piece of kitsch mush, too corny to post. So dot points again to the rescue, hehehe, but kinda takes the nostalgic edge away from the blog post title. =)

- Day One was spent riding around the Gion district on shiny new electronic bikes supplied to us by our hotel. The backstreets of Gion were amazing, kinda like a little Venice with it's little restaurants and bars built on a meandering river that run through the city. Best idea ever for taking the bikes with us as it was the best way to actually "see" the city.

- We also saw a Geisha parade outside Choinin Temple. Possibly to welcome the Autumn season?

-Rode to Kyomizudera Temple (Pure Water Temple). The temple itself sits on a gigantic hill amongst a gorgeous green backdrop of bamboos, over looking the city of Kyoto. I hear that during the Autumn seasons, the tree tops turn into a beautiful golden brown canopy, none-the-less the temple never ceases to amaze me every time I visit it.

-Spent the evening in Kyoto Tower, watching the sun go down over the city and slowly watching the city light up with its night life. The sky was so clear we could even see through to Osaka.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

- Day Two was spent in the Arashiyama area. A 20 min train ride saw us arrive by the Oi River.

- Took a little half an hour cruise on a boat up stream, admiring the scenery around the Arashiyama area. Our boat driver knew little English but still didn't fail to make us feel less at home and tried his very best to explain the surrounds of the area. We ran into this really cute little convenience store operated entirely on a boat!

-Rickshaws were everywhere and I really wanted to ride on one, but I doubt they could've pulled both me and Rick on one, together.

- Took a stroll through the peaceful and tranquil surrounds of Sagano Bamboos. It was really amazing how green and how tall the bamboos were. Probably my favourite part of Kyoto. The mosquitoes however were relentlessly vicious, seven-bites-in-half-an-hour-on-one-arm kinda vicious!

- Took 2 trains and a bus to Ginkakuji (The Golden Pavilion) just in time to see the sun set and cast stunning golden rays of light on the temple. Covered in gold leaf, the Temple stood in the surrounds of a pond that was an amazing contrast to all the other black and white temples everywhere else.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We missed a few temples this time around, especially the ones with the Buddhist Zen gardens, but as most temples closed at around 5pm, we could technically only do two destinations in one day. Next time I'm in Kyoto, I'd love to spend a week and travel to Nara for the more modern architecture provided by some of Japans top architects like Tadao Ando and SAANA. It was quite a whimsical trip, one that I thoroughly enjoyed with Rick. I think one thing that I realised this trip was the fact that I much rather more culturally and artistically rich "towns" as compared to more metropolitan "cities".

Also there's a sneak peek of an outfit post that is to come! Hope you guys had an awesome weekend and have enjoyed this post!

X

11 comments:

  1. These photos are stunning! It looks amazing, I want to go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these photos are beautiful! They make me want to book a flight to Japan.

    Laura
    whitewinters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful time you had in Japan!!

    I love how you captured the mood and feel of your time there. :)

    How does lunch tomorrow sound? Email me your mobile! <3


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are SO breathtaking, SO beautiful.

    LOVING your striped maxi, striped anything is my favourite at the moment.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I drank up every one of these photographs. What a culture, what a history. I want to go there one day. Thank you for sharing!

    Yes, I also sometimes draft posts... and inevitably throw out the draft, dash it down afresh, and post it without worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAYYY more photos! Is it just me or does that line of Geishas remind you of Mulan?? hahah. Amazing amazing photography babe.
    And yes.. I go to bed at around 2am every night because I'm writing assignments or articles for Brisbane Times or blogging! I just can't wait until uni is over!! I'm working on my 2nd last assignment and then I have 2 exams about a week apart so it won't be too stressful :) How is everything going with you my love?
    xx http://opinionslave.blogspot.com
    / twitter: @opinionslave

    PS- Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a 24ct gold 'Gala Curios' ring ;) It would look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quality & colours are outstanding & you're looking stunning as always! x hivenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are insanely gorgeous!
    Kyoto looks amazing. I want to go there so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww.... beautiful beautiful shots, beautiful place. So much old world charm and softness.

    The red temple eaves against the little white blocks of the city. The traces of rituals that take place in the temples. And that wonderful stilt like construction along the embankment!

    I've never been to japan let alone kyoto, but this really makes me want to explore it for myself, i think i could spend a looong time there, just exploring and visiting all the different gardens, temples and then there's the Ando, like OMG!

    ps. move to singapore, well at the moment amanda is moving there, a lil more permanently.... say maybe more than a year? and me (emily), im just visiting her for a while, a long while... but soon enough i'll head back to nz.... then begins some really tough times for the blog.... but hopefully not too tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such AMAZING photos... i love that country so much x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning photos, I just love geisha..want to see this sometime!! I love getting to see these pictures, such culture!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. I really appreciate every single one of you guys, contributing and shaping my blog! X